Thursday, December 8, 2011

Children's Literature and History

HELP!!! I need some body help! Not just any body! Help! You know I need someone! Won't you PLEASE help me?!!


Okay, so I'm not quite that desperate, but with the stress of finals and the end of the semester, I thought we could all use a good laugh and take solace in the fact that at least we don't have it as bad as these people. In any case, I have a confession and I'm going to be an adult about it and take whatever pains will come with this confession: I'm horribly behind on this paper. Do you ever feel that you're drowning in papers and no matter how hard you try they just keep piling up and you just get less and less sleep and though you try to finish things by an ideal time, it's just not happening? That was me this past week.

So after  my momentous struggle with myself and my papers, I'm finally getting to posting my ideas for this paper. I know it's so last minute, but if any one has any contributions I'd greatly appreciate them! Without further ado, I give you Children's Literature and History!

The premise behind my paper, comes from a combination of observations I have made as I have studied children's literature: (1) children's literature has changed as our perception of children has changed, (2) children's literature reflects what society wants children to know (3) because it was read to people when they were young, children's literature holds great power and is more memorable than other forms of literature.

SO I believe that for the reasons above, children's literature is the most effective and influential teaching tool and as authors have come to realize that they have subtly begun including messages in children's literature to sway children to their way of thinking. Patterns in history (Antiquity through the Reniassance) manifest this. Basically, I'm trying to say that different periods in history most poignantly present their ideals through children's literature. Since this paper is persuasive, I think I will focus on how I believe that the best way to understand history is to examine the children's literature of each time.

Perhaps I can't really support that because I'm not actually sure it's true. But I do absolutely believe that authors have always slipped in messages in their work intended for children and historical examples support this. Do you think that pertains enough to the learning outcomes? Currently this is my thesis statement:


Children’s literature is the ultimate form of influence, utilized by authors throughout history to motivate societies to conform to their ideals as shown through the metamorphosis children’s literature has undergone as society’s agenda for children has changed.


Right now I think it's way too wordy and far too vague to be strong. I'll have to let it sit for a moment, but I'm open to all suggestions for how to improve it. I just think my thoughts are too scattered and I need to let it mature just a little, you know?

I'll post my draft later today. If anyone has time to provide feedback, I'd love that.

Thanks for all you do, people of group 4! :)

1 comment:

  1. Simpler thesis idea:

    That children's literature changes as society's agenda for children changes shows that children's literature is the ultimate form of influence.

    ALSO your premises are awesome. If you have the information to do this, try to make those three points three body paragraphs, and support them with information from antiquity to Renaissance.

    Good luck!!!

    ReplyDelete