Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Typography annotated bibliography

I began this assignment with a general search on Wikipedia. I found the Typography article and looked at its sources to find some books that might be found at the HBLL. I looked up these books at lib.byu.edu and wrote down the first few characters of their call numbers.  I just recorded the general area of the call numbers so I could browse the proper section of the library.

Browsing
I found {1} and {3} browsing the library stacks.

I noticed a couple of interesting things while browsing. First, there is only a very small area dedicated to typography in the library—only about three cabinets. Additionally, I found that the topics covered in this area were broad. They included connections between typography and the following fields: graphic design, web design, print design, history, and international typeface references.

I used the bibliography in {1} to find {2}.

Finding a reference work
I found an encyclopedia {4} through the HBLL website. I found {5} in the references section of {4}.

Finding a periodical
I found a typography periodical {6} by searching “typography” at lib.byu.edu, and then selecting “Journals” under “Resource Type” in the navigation bar to the left of the search results. I found {7} via {6}. It is important to note that {6}, my periodical print reference contained no actual bibliography, footnotes, or endnotes (!). But Milton Glaser, the author of {7}, was listed as a contributor. I searched for him on the library website and found a work he authored.



The annotated bibliography
Addresses issues and stories surrounding mysterious or lesser-known figures in typographic history. 
[Found browsing library stacks.]

Eason and Rookledge write short biographic entries about important figures in typographic history, including their birth and death dates (where applicable), as well as fonts they designed, and short explanations about those fonts. This resource would be more valuable if organized chronologically rather than alphabetically by last name.
[Found in {1}’s bibliography.]


Doesn't it look like a textbook? Photo by me.
Textbook-like guide to typography. Details the history of typography, structural and aesthetic elements of type, and type classification methods. Very bright, with full-color illustrations, vocabulary marginalia, and review sections.
[Found browsing library stacks.]

Lists about 1,000 fonts, brief descriptions, creation date, designer, and all letters and numbers in the typeface.
[Found online.]


Photo by me.
Important to the study of fonts because it discusses the development of the Latin alphabet (volume 1) and font development chronologically and geographically (volumes 1 and 2). Volume 2 also includes a useful chart comparing Roman and Italic fonts in France between 1640 and 1825.
[Found via reference work {4}.]


Begins with a short timeline of important figures in typographic history, followed by a brief discussion of the use of software in modern typography. Most of the work is dedicated to examples of “great” typography from the 1990s. Other useful aspects are an illustrated glossary near the beginning, a traditional glossary at the end, and a list of contributors whose works are featured, which are accompanied by short biographies. Most striking is the beauty of the periodical, which has large, glossy, and full-color pages. Unique because only two volumes published.
[Found via lib.byu.edu.]


This work was my very favorite! Photo by me.
Ever seen this? Did you know Milton Glaser was commissioned to popularize New York through the slogan "I love New York," and this is the design he created? Isn't that amazing? Iconic!
Photo by me.
While this work showcases Glaser’s work in the areas of print (posters, portraits, animals, motifs in his work, illustration, collaborative work, interiors, objects, exhibitions, typography, branding, grocery store work, and magazines and newspapers). It is important to note that while typography has its own section in the book, many of Glaser’s work in other areas required him to create new fonts, which are showcased in the other sections.
[Found via periodical {6}.]

Follow up
In one of my previous blog posts, I documented some questions I had about fonts and typography:

[1]  Why were different fonts and typefaces created?
[2]  What's the difference between fonts and typefaces?
[3]  How were different fonts and typefaces used?
[4]  Who designed fonts and typefaces? Were they artists? Printers? Both?
[5]  How did various fonts and typefaces get used in religious texts?
[6]  Did any scientific research go into fonts and typefaces? Researching readability, perhaps?

Many of these questions were answered in today’s lecture by Royal Skousen in the HBLL Special Collections. For example, in answer to question [1], italic fonts were created to save space. In answer to question [4], those who designed fonts were of course artists, and sometimes printers.

But I’ve also found that many of the sources I found doing the annotated bibliography also answer these questions. For example, source {2} would be especially useful for question [4].

Relationship to music (of course!)
I found a strange relationship between writing this annotated bibliography and choosing music to play for an upcoming harp competition. In choosing music, I check out the scores and CDs from the library. I listen to the pieces while following along in the score. I’ve never heard many of the pieces, so it’s sometimes hard to choose. To help, sometimes I listen more than once. Sometimes I listen to multiple recordings. But I never play through them on my instrument (unless no recordings are available. We’re spoiled, I know). Eventually, I get a feel for the pieces, and I can make a decision about what I want to play.

This is like researching and writing an annotated bibliography. The topic was new to me, and so were the specific sources, just like the recordings and scores are new to me. But I have resources, like the internet, the HBLL website, the stacks, and helpful librarians to help me, just like the scores and CDs help me. Just as I eventually get a feel for the music without actually playing it myself, reading through the books quickly give me a great feel for their content.

5 comments:

  1. Have you ever noticed the different typography associated with music? I know that for me, some scores are easy to sight-read while others I have to stare at because the measures are spaced to close together or the notes are spaced oddly. Sometimes the composer will include double sharps or flats, causing me to sit there counting on my fingers how many half-steps that is! I wonder if someone has researched into the aesthetics of music?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Blaine, I know what you mean. I am not that great at reading music, but if the spacing is off, I'm sure to do a lot worse, especially if they have changed up the time signature.
    Holland! You get to play the harp in Israel. That is insane and I am so jealous.
    I also think its really interesting that the I love New York logo was designed by a printer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness, that's so interesting! And SO true!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I the tie you make to doing an annotated bibliography with selecting harp pieces because I do the same thing with voice! I usually start research by listening pieces I've heard recently that I've liked. They might be from musicals, off CDs, other live performances I've gone to- anything really. Another thing I do is get input from others on pieces they like. I also browse through my library of music, looking through large anthologies to find a new piece. I'll even visit multiple libraries of music to find pieces. Finally, after much comparison and contrast, I'll pick out a piece. This process is much like finding just the right book to use in research.

    ReplyDelete
  5. fix to my comment: my first sentence was suppose to start, "I love the tie..."

    ReplyDelete