Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Response to Kacee's blog post ("Children's Literature, an Annotated Bibliography")


I really have been thinking recently a lot about what Kacee said in her last paragraph, about the Google Trap.

Related to the Google Trap is what I call Google Brain, in which we depend on Google (or other things that aren't our brains) for things our brains are capable of...

People of the (Group 4) world, I give you Google Brain!!! (Also known as "Google and Memory," an infographic.)

From here. Click to view larger.

We use Google as "extensions of our knowledge." The infographic gives good consequences and bad consequences. While I agree with these, I think the authors of the infographic missed an important point. By using our Google Brains, we can choose to spend our memories, our brains, on things that are more important than remembering to send an email, remembering every item on a grocery list, and remembering what 12x4 is... Spend your brain power studying for a test, practicing for an upcoming concert (shameless plug for the BYU Harp Solo and Ensemble Concert--I am playing the piece I blogged about earlier this semester!), or doing other things that you care about (and which require brain power). I don't mind leaving it to Google to remind me what I have due tomorrow and who I need to call about what.

What do you think?

1 comment:

  1. Good thought - if you don't want to become attached at the hip to something like Google you need to periodically do things the old fashioned way. It's kind of like doing a math problem without a calculator, but you at least remember how to take the integral of sin(x)^2 :)

    ReplyDelete