Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Zumbalicious

This is Becky. She teaches Zumba.
She's stoked about it.
This is me. I am about to learn Zumba.
I'm nervous because I'm about to learn Zumba.

This is Becky doing Zumba.

This is me doing Zumba.
Something is not right...

I went to a BYU-sponsored Zumba class this week. Zumba is Latin-inspired aerobics, and I'm trying to make it a part of my new weekly exercise regime (interval training one day, running two days, a long run on Saturdays, and a couple days of something else [like Zumba!] to mix it up--wish me luck!). I chose to attend a Zumba class because I heard that it is fun and makes people happy. It certainly was fun! We danced to great tunes blasted over the speakers in one of the school gyms; I met a new friend; AND I burned some calories. What more could you ask for?

But learning Zumba was not easy. The only instruction I had was from Becky, who was standing on a stage on one side of the gym, but I was one of probably a hundred girls (and a couple guys!) learning from her. I didn't get any individualized attention, and it was hard to keep up. 

But I learned that I don't really need individualized attention to learn a skill. Over the course of the Zumba session, I felt myself catching on more quickly. I also noticed that other people in the class were very familiar with the dance moves, which makes me believe that the more Zumba one does, the better one gets--even without any individualized attention.

I also think that this "classroom" setting is a great complement to "regular" classroom settings. It works the body, not the brain; it's led by a peer, not a superior; it's quite loud, not quiet; and there's no grade! 

1 comment:

  1. I love your illustrations. I think it's interesting how Zumba got started: an aerobics instructor forgot his music, so he put in some salsa and Boom! Zumba.

    A lot of folk knowledge and tradition that started as "happy accidents" now receives widespread recognition. Indeed, some of it (such as chocolate chip cookies, for example) we cannot imagine living without.

    ReplyDelete