Friday, September 16, 2011

My brother was born on the dance floor!



Ok, so that isn't my actual brother, but this is.
No, seriously, my brother was actually born on the dance floor. My mom taught ballet lessons in their house (I was not yet alive, so it wasn’t really my house) and had a room with a hard floor and mirrors that allowed for dancing. That’s just where she happened to be during delivery.

I think the dance floor looked something like this, but I wasn't alive yet, so I don't really know.



So what does this have to do with anything? Well, my mother was assisted by a midwife.
All I really knew about midwives is that, if they are good at what they do, they can use their hands to move a child within its mother’s womb into the proper position, the head on the bottom, for delivery to occur. There’s a bit more to being a midwife than that.
Way back in the day, before hospitals or epidurals, women were the only ones to assist in labor in Egypt. This is ancient Egypt, and the all the sources I have examined say that no one is really sure what these women actually did, but there are records of them being present.I’m assuming they gave moral support and used the knowledge they gained from experience to help other women give birth.


In Ancient Greece, being a midwife was a profession, as it is today. However, men were not allowed to be present during birth, so the midwife was the one who ran the show, not the doctor. Midwives had assistants to help them with delivery process; they mostly held the mother in place. The Midwives job was to make the mother as comfortable and the delivery as easy as possible. They massaged and applied oils to the mother, talked the mother through the pushing process including directing her breathing, helped pull the baby out of the mother’s body, cleaned off the baby, cleaned of the mother, removed the placenta, cut and sealed off the umbilical cord, and wrapped the baby in bandages. Mothers of Ancient Greece gave birth while sitting on a crescent shaped stool, a stool the midwife brought with her to births, as they felt this was most comfortable. The early part of labor was spent on a hard table like bed and when delivery was close, they were moved to the aforementioned stool. If the mother was to week to move, they remained on the hard table/bed. The midwife guided the mother through all of these movements.
Historians are not sure how this knowledge was passed from one generation to the next, but they think it was probably either from mother to daughter, or through a system of apprenticeship.  A lot of the knowledge we do have about these ancient midwives comes from the writings of Soranus in his book Gynecology, in which, he critiques midwives preparations and procedures.
The article I read was interesting, just so you know.
Today midwives maintain the same basic goals as ancient midwives; they want to help make labor as comfortable and easy as possible.  Today’s midwives also try to keep births as natural as possible, so, if you want an epidural, stick with a doctor.  Most midwives today go through a certification program, but some simply learn through apprenticeship and field experience, it just depends on who you decide to hire.

4 comments:

  1. Following up on this I was searching for a historical trend of maternal mortality over the ages. I know that in my case it is very likely that I wouldn't be here without modern techniques. Prior the 1930's the Maternal Mortality Rate (MMR) was 600 (600 motherly deaths per 100000 births)(see http://www.deathreference.com/Me-Nu/Mortality-Childbirth.html . I am sure that the mid-wife was a huge contributor to lower mortality rates in the mother and child during birth and as ages continue more experience and knowledge is passed on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too would probably not be here were not for advancements in birthing technology. I was born with practically no heart rate, and nearly dead. Were it not for the monitors that notified my doctors that I was not doing well, they might not have pulled me out in time.

    Those Greecian mid-wives were crazy! I'm amazed at the ingenuity of the human race. Sometimes we underestimate the wealth of knowledge people of the past have to offer us today, but its posts like this that show me how important it is to learn and connect to the past.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post! That video is fantastic!!!
    I loved how you researched SO many cultures! That is great.
    Women amaze me. It blows my mind what the female body can do, but knowing that women have made birth happen for so long makes me believe that God made us a certain way, and gave us the innate skills to make us to have children

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think its amazing how our natural abilities are able to be aided by both medicine and techniques that have been passed through generations to bring about and preserve life. All the the world has gained about child birth has been added onto the previous knowledge and passed on to those who are willing to learn it. I am so grateful for the hospitals and technologies of today. Without them, my sister-in-law wouldn't be here, and my brother would never have had the opportunity to hold his first child.

    ReplyDelete