Monday, September 19, 2011

My Favorite Thing

Some foods are good. Some foods are great. Some foods are life changing.
My mother's chocolate chip cookies are life changing.
My chocolate chip cookies
When Holland posted about her experience teaching the members of our blog group to make chocolate chip cookies, it reminded me of my experience learning to make chocolate chip cookies. As one of the few recipes I have memorized, chocolate chip cookies have come to mean more to me than simply being calorie-loaded, guilt-enducing, waiste-line-ruining, sugar vessels. To me, chocolate chip cookies mean memories. They mean people. They mean tradition.


Originally, chocolate chip cookies served as a substitute for "Butter Drop Do" cookies, in which baking chocolate was used. As Ruth Wakefield, who ran the Toll House Restaurant in Massachusetts, was baking these "Butter Drop Do" cookies, she ran out of the necessary ingredient of baker's chocolate. With only a bar of semi-sweet chocolate on hand, Ruth decided to chop the chocolate and add it to the dough as a substitute, thinking it would melt and distribute throughout each cookie. Much to her surprise, the chocolate in the resulting cookies retained its shape, and the chocolate chip cookie was born (History of Cookies). Today, as one of America's favorite cookies, the chocolate chip cookie has become an icon. The subject of playground debates and even legal proceedings, chocolate chip cookies are an integral part of everday life.

On a more personal level, chocolate chip cookies are the food that connect me to my mother. Few cooking lessons have allowed my mother to use the mother tongue so flawlessly (Bryn Mawr Commencement Address). They were first dessert she taught me to make, and they'll be the first dessert I'll teach my children to make. Throughout my high school years, chocolate chip cookies were the recipe I'd turn to when I wanted to make something with my friends.

A failed chocolate chip cookie experiment
Occasionally, the results were disastorous, as you can see by the picture on the right. During one cookie-baking adventure, my friend, Jonathan, thought it would be a good idea to add blue food dye to the dough. The resulting cookies became a teal-ish colored slop. While these cookies were edible, we decided from then on to leave our cookies food dye free.

As with several beloved recipes, my mother's chocolate chip cookies became a form of tradition. Since the recipe yields so many cookies (70+), it is nearly impossible to be selfish about eating these cookies. They have to be shared. Over years of baking chocolate chip cookies, I have developed my own personal tradition of delivering at least half of each batch to a friend. Sometimes I do this anonymously by leaving the cookies on a door step and sometimes I deliver them in person.

Regardless of how I deliver them though, the tradition of making cookies to share cookies has given me a way to reach out to others. The giving of a cookie is the giving of myself. Because I took the time to bake them cookies, it shows others just how much I care. And that goes beyond mere baked goods. It deepens friendships, unites us as people, and gives us just a little more compassion, a little more humanity, a little more love. That's my favorite thing.

5 comments:

  1. I love that for you, cookies are a means of showing love. It reminds me of Andi and her bread project. Awesome job incorporating Le Guin's remarks. And you have a beautiful writing style!
    Chocolate chip cookies have been a part of legal proceedings?

    ReplyDelete
  2. So are you going to bring some to class? :)
    Chocolate cookies are a wonderful accident.
    I think its amazing how much we can gain from relatively simple things like making cookies. We learn to share, we learn to be considerate and we learn to laugh about our mistakes.
    I think this will be one of those recipes that connects your family for generations.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember the first things that my Mom taught me to make : Orange juice (from a can :) ) and brownies. Although they seem easy now to do, my six year old mentality saw me a future master cook! The mother tongue seems to be closely associated with personal relationships and with time invested. With this in mind and knowing how the LDS church emphasizes family and time, are messages from modern day apostles a fatherly encouragement towards the mother tongue?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes Holland! Chocolate chip cookies have been the subject of legal proceedings! Kind of crazy, right?

    I think so Blaine. I never really thought about the instructions of the apostles that way. But they oftentimes do use father tongue to promote use of the mother tongue. Perhaps then, if users of the mother tongue incorporate the teachings of the prophets into their daily speech, they can achieve balance. Maybe that's why the gospel is so important. It provides balance between both tongues.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the story you shared about making cookies to share. My family also has an old chocolate chip cookie recipe that each of my siblings started using more as they went into high school. My older brother Seth would put cookies in a big ice cream bucket and share them in class. The biggest surprise came when I got back from my mission to find that my little sister had surpassed them all in her perfection of the art of baking them just right.

    It seems most court cases involving chocolate chip cookies have to do with intellectual property and franchise. Here are a few links you can check out if you're interested:

    http://law.justia.com/cases/federal/appellate-courts/F2/970/273/269762/

    http://masscases.com/cases/app/18/18massappct937.html

    ReplyDelete