Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Midterm

For our midterm assignment, we created a Rosetta Artifact. Since only three of our civilizations had a written language to choose from, we decided to encode our message in the ancient written language of Ogham. Finding something in Brythonic proved to be the real difficulty: when we met at my apartment last Wednesday, we spent the first few hours google-ing up a storm trying to find something authentic we could write. We finally found a book with some authentic Brythonic words. I quickly wrote out the Ogham on a sheet of loose paper, which we then transferred to a sheet of news print (which I thankfully had just lying in my car) so we could draw it to scale before transferring it to stone. That's when the fun part began: chiseling our midterm into rock.


We didn't want to run out of stone before we finished what we had to say, so we wrote it out on news print and followed the spacing very closely.

 
IMAG0327.jpg
See the three horizontal lines that are not very evenly spaced? I carved them :)
Being able to look at that stone and know that I made my mark on it is kind of cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment